Customers have come to expect a lot from your business. Having good records is a key element in succeeding in business. Your business grows from stable and easily accessible records. Critical and necessary information needs to be stored properly so you can access it at any time. Keeping good records helps you and your customers in legal areas. There are five major benefits with having a good record management software package. These are: accurate accountability; easy accessibility, compliance with government agencies, storage retention capability and security.
- Accurate Accountability-Having good records increase accountability. Electronic Records Management (ERM) is the means in which record are stored and managed electronically through software specifically designed to handle electronic records. Accurate records that are maintained properly are one of the major benefits of having good record management software. It also makes it much easier to be accountable for your information.
- Easy Accessibility-It’s not enough to have accurate records. Your information can be immaculate but if you can’t access them easily you won’t be able to use them. It is critically important to have access to records for both you and your customers. A good records management software system will increase your productivity by organizing records for easy access; reduce or eliminate time needed to retrieve information, and help increase your sales. In the National Archives, one of the benefits cited is the quick retrieval of information.
- Compliance with Government agencies-In any business it is important to have accurate and easily accessible records for tax purposes. It is equally important to be able to have the most accurate information to comply with government regulations. A good record management software system will ensure that your business remains on top of government regulations on record retention and other important issues. Business Records Management Inc has a list of government agencies and their information.
- Storage Retention Capability-Storage retention is another big issue with companies. In the past paper was king and most companies still dealt with paper files. Today electronic records rule. There are two reasons for this change. The biggest change is that storage capability has grown to the point where it makes sense for companies to go electronic with their records. Physical storage space became expensive compared to having electronic records. A good records management software system has enough electronic storage space to keep important records and a retention policy that deletes unnecessary records. Minimizing storage requirements is probably the most cited reason for converting to an electronic record management system.
- Security-You can have the best records management system available, but if your records are not secure you lose customers, time and money. Security breaches have been in the news and it is important that your business and your customers’ information stay out of the wrong hands. Record Management software that has protocols that prevent cyber theft is golden.